When cooking, crumbs and ingredients can fall into the gaps between the stove and the counter. Instead of always moving your range away from the wall to clean underneath, you can quickly fill those gaps. But what can you use to fill those gaps?
To close a gap between the stove and the countertop, you can use silicone, plastic tubing, or a pre-made gap cover. Silicone is the easiest and most practical material to use, but stainless steel and metal are also great options. You can buy a T-shaped plastic roller to perfectly measure the cut.
In this article, we explain why you should take the time to fill those gaps. We also provide basic instructions for each option; This process takes less than five minutes. So, what are you waiting for? Let's go!
Do you need handyman services?
Receive free, no-obligation quotes from professional contractors near you.
FIND LOCAL ENTREPRENEURS
Why you should close the gap
The gap between the stove and the counter is often unnoticed, that is, until you drop food and can't get it out. The opening is so small; You can not rub the sides of both surfaces. Leaving spoiled food will eventually attract unpleasant presences, such as:
Covering the gap prevents food from falling between the counter and the stove. You no longer have to take the oven out to clean it (assuming you do). It's convenient for you and cheap to make, so why not? You don't have to spend money for this.Repair frayed areasfor food damage.
Use a pre-made space cover
Gap covers are long, T-shaped pieces of plastic or silicone commonly found at hardware and online retailers. The lower part of the "T" fits into the space between the stove and the counter. The "T" covers the space between your kitchen and the adjacent countertop.
Gap covers are available in a variety of materials, including plastic and stainless steel, and there are many different colors to choose from. If there is a difference in height between your hob and the counter, use a silicone material as it is more flexible and better adapts to the shape..
Instructions for placing the cover
- Place the cover in the opening.You can place the lower arm on top of the upper arm or slide it in front. The top row of the T-shape should form a tight seal preventing food or liquid from falling into the gap.
- Stay in Lane.If you notice that the cover is visibly dirty, remove it and hand wash it in a sink with detergent. Make sure the cap is completely dry before putting it back on. If it's not completely dry, food particles and crumbs will stick to it. Also, mold can grow over time, which would eventually defeat the purpose of the mulch.
If the top of the lid doesn't fit snugly, the strap on the bottom prevents anything from falling into the gap. If leftovers get in, wipe them up with a cloth.
Fill the hole with plastic tubes.
Use a ruler or tape measure to measure the exact width of the gap to select the correct pipe size. When filling in the gaps on both sides of the oven, be sure to measure both sides as there is no guarantee that they will be the same size.
Purchase a clear PVC pipe that is 1/4 inch wider than the opening. The clear plastic tube forms a virtually invisible barrier between the counters and the oven. By choosing a slightly thicker tube, you create a tight seal that won't fall off or slip easily.
- Push the pipe into the room.To install, simply push the pipe into the gap between the stove and counter with your fingers until it is perfectly level.
- Check positioning.Make sure the end of the tube is pressed against the wall before placing it. Keep it level with your countertops because pushing it down too far creates a trap for crumbs to fall into the tube.
- Take care of your tube.If it is dirty, remove the hose and wash it in a sink filled with warm, soapy water. Make sure it is completely air dry before reattaching.
An alternative is to purchase a T-shaped plastic rolling pin to complement the style of your countertops. Transition moldings or T-moldings, which come in many colors and styles, are best used on floors to cover gaps or gaps.
- Measure and cut out your frame.Before installing, measure from the edge of the counter to the back of the range and cut the frame to the exact length you need. Using a shaping knife or scissors, carefully trim it to fit the length of the gap perfectly.
- Wrap the duct tape around the lower arm.If you need a tighter fit, you can create one with tape if necessary. If the frame is loose in space, use masking tape to wrap the lower (vertical) arm to make it thicker. Continue wrapping the tape until the frame fits snugly in the space.
- Test fit.Test each layer of tape to make sure the T-frame will hold it firmly in place. Work carefully to ensure that none of the sticky sides of the tape are exposed.
- Clean your frame.If the frame is dirty, it can be cleaned with a cloth and soapy water. If it is not enough, remove, soak in soapy water and scrub with a non-abrasive sponge or cloth. After complete air drying, it can be replaced.
Cleaning the space between the stove and the counter
It goes without saying that if there is already food or other debris in the gap between the stove and the counter, you should remove it before closing the gap.
If food is left in there, it may have an unpleasant odor or even attract pests. It could attract unwanted insect pests and even worms. The way to clean this area depends on the width.
Confined Space Guide
- Scrape away the dirt with a butter knife.Keep the blade pointing away from you. Insert the knife into the gap between the range and the cabinet and use it to carefully remove any debris for disposal.
- Clean the area.Then, spray a kitchen cleaner or all-purpose disinfectant onto a paper towel or microfiber cloth and blot the stain to make sure it's spotless. repeat as many times as necessary.
Instructions for larger rooms
- Make a tool or use the vacuum to remove the food.Wrap a microfiber cloth around a putty knife or plastic stick and use this tool to pick up the dirt. If space is available, you can use the narrow attachment on your vacuum to ensure the area is perfectly cleaned.
- Dry the area well.Make sure it is completely dry before using electrical devices nearby.
How do you bridge the gap between countertops and refrigerators?
Filling a gap between the counter and the refrigerator is the same as filling a gap between the stove and the counter. Although a T shape will not work in this case, plastic tubes will. Follow the plastic piping instructions in this article to fill your void.
How much space do you need on each side of an oven?
While spaces can be annoying, they are necessary. You will need at least 1 inch on each side of the oven. So that it can breathe and the heat does not deform the material of your countertops over time.
Do you need handyman services?
Receive free, no-obligation quotes from professional contractors near you.
FIND LOCAL ENTREPRENEURS
We understand the frustration of dropping food in the gap between your stove and counter while cooking. It's even more annoying when you have to figure out how to get it and you still can't get everything.
It may be a good idea to cover this gap to avoid unnecessary cleanup. Covering the opening means you can spend less time cleaning and more energy elsewhere.
Heather is a passionate writer who loves all things DIY. Growing up, she learned everything from home repair to design, and she wants to share her advice with you. When she's not writing, she's mostly wandering around or looking for her next DIY project.
The fish is delicious! Someone would say that it is even better if you fish yourself. There are so many different ways to prepare it, be it a simple barbecue or homemade sushi...
Black sofas can be so boring! Sure, they go with just about anything, but how do you make a room stand out when your furniture is so dark? We have the answer to that; Get a rug! But what color...
First, choose a gap cover that matches the style of your kitchen. Stainless steel or black plastic are popular choices. Then, measure the length of the gap and cut the cover to size if necessary. Once the gap cover is the right size, simply slide it into the gap between the stove and the counter.How do I fill the gap between the wall and stove? ›
Caulk: When the gap is around 6 mm (¼ in), you can use silicone caulk to seal the space. If the gap is wider, you should use other materials to fill it. Plastic tubing: This tubing is readily available in any hardware store. Its diameter can range from 12 mm to 25 mm (½ in to 1 in).How do you fill a large gap between a counter and backsplash? ›
How do you fill a large gap between countertop and backsplash? Sometimes, the gap can be too large for traditional caulking. In that case, you can still use caulk if you are willing to invest in foam backer rods. However, you may also resort to alternative methods to fill the gaps, such as expanding foam or new trim.Can you caulk the gap between stove and counter? ›
Cooktop - Gap Between Cooktop and Counter
Over time, the foam will compress, though some gap could still be evident. We do not recommend using silicone sealant or caulk to seal the edges. Use of a sealant will prevent the cooktop from being removed should service be required.
Having the height of a cooking surface below the height of the top of the counter. The top of your stove should be ideally level with the top of the counter or slightly higher if needed to avoid heat from the cooktop damaging the counter over time.What is a filler trim for a stove? ›
This trim kit is used to fill the space behind a slide-in range that is installed where a standard freestanding range was placed previously. The kit is designed to fill gaps that measure 2-5/8-in, 2-1/4-in or 1-1/2-in.What can I put on the wall behind my stove? ›
Fireproof Backsplash Behind the Stove
Grease splatters, steam and even heat from the stove and oven could melt or warp inferior materials, such as the average plastic. For this reason, ceramic, porcelain, glass or metal tiles are a great choice for the area closest to the cooking.
For caulking kitchen counters, it's important to get a caulk that's designed to provide a tough, watertight, mold-resistant seal. Loctite 100% Silicone is a top choice. It holds up to extreme temperatures and contains Mildewcide, a property that prohibits the growth of mold.What kind of caulk between countertop and backsplash? ›
The one spot where caulk, not grout, should be used is the seam between the countertop and the backsplash. The right material for that is a top-quality silicone caulk.Should I grout or caulk between backsplash and countertop? ›
It's essential to use caulk where the backsplash meets the kitchen counter, as well as at the top and edges of the backsplash. This prevents water from seeping in between your tile and the wall or trickling in behind your countertop. Water that infiltrates your wall in this way can cause mold, rot, and damage.
Aluminum tape is available in a variety of widths; 2.5 in. will do fine for a cooktop installation since it's best to apply the tape to the inside edges of the cutout, then fold it over and stick it onto the countertop surface.What should you not put on a stove top? ›
- Scrubby sponges. It's fine to use the soft side of your sponge to wipe down your glass cooktop. ...
- Steel wool. Umm, a big nope on this one. ...
- Any cleanser while the stove's hot. Always wait until the stove is completely cooled down before cleaning it. ...
- Heavy pressure. ...
- Glass cleaner.
Deciding your kitchentop height above or below 36” standard
The standard height should be between 38”-39” for people above-average height. 32” is good for below-average height people. In case of disabled people and wheelchair users, the height of countertop should be 31”-34”.
Grates. Grates are stove parts that sit above burners. A cooktop's grates distribute and dissipate heat evenly below the pan. In the case of a gas oven, grates are made of cast iron.How do you fill a gap in an oven? ›
You can fill the gap between your oven and countertop with silicone, plastic tubing, gap caps, filler strips, or worktop trims. The best method depends on the size of the gap. Silicone generally works best for small openings.Does a slide-in range need countertop behind it? ›
Depending on the manufacturer, some slide-in ranges will sit flush with your cabinets, while others will be a few inches deeper. You want your range, not including the door, to be flush with your kitchen cabinets. If it's not, you will need a counter strip in the back.What type of backsplash is best for behind the stove? ›
Ceramic or porcelain tiles for a backsplash behind the stove provides a durable, heat-resistant surface that combats inevitable oil splatters and sauce splashes, while offering tons of room for a creative kitchen wall décor.How do you fireproof a wall behind a wood stove? ›
If your walls are combustible, you can install a shield on a wall to reduce the stove's clearance area. Like the floor pad, the shield should be made of a noncombustible material, such as sheet metal.Can you put peel and stick tile behind stove? ›
The versatile nature of self-adhesive backsplash tiles makes them not only a simple design solution, but also a fun one. They can be applied behind kitchen sinks or behind stovetops (where you'll also want a quiet kitchen exhaust fan.)What do you put between wood stove and wall? ›
How Do Heat Shields Work? Heat shields are a type of heat-resistant board placed behind a wood-burning stove or other heating appliance. They are necessary for protecting your walls and floors from damage and decreasing the risk of fire. Heat is transferred in several different ways.
Peel and stick vinyl backsplash can be used for stove backsplash DIY, it will resist the heat of a stove (if it's a gas stove, make sure you left a safety zone to avoid any contact with an open flame). The peel and stick backsplash behind the stove will not move or yellowing.What can be used as a heat shield? ›
Coated fabrics are often used as heat shields and for protective purposes. Coatings can be made from neoprene, silicon, ceramic or others and are also UV, chemical and abrasion resistant. Heat shields made from heat resistant fabrics are highly durable and are able to be used in extreme environments.How do I reduce the clearance on my wood stove? ›
Clearance should be three times the diameter of the pipe, e.g., a 6-inch pipe needs 18 inches of clearance. Heat shields may be used to reduce the clearance by the same ratio as for the stove. For example, with sheet metal you can reduce the clearance by two-thirds, from 18 inches to 6 inches.What is the best adhesive for peel and stick backsplash? ›
3M's Super 77 spray adhesive is what we recommend.What glue can you use on a stove? ›
HANSA Heat resistant glue is suitable for gluing heat resistant ceramic ropes to the doors of stoves, ovens and other heating devices.